The last few weeks of pregnancy are all about the opening and preparing for labor. The arrival of Braxton-Hicks or early contractions and the decent of the baby become very evident as a woman gets closer to 40 weeks. A healthy, productive birthing experience is all about the balance of the feminine yin energy and the masculine yang energy. However, sometimes women arrive at the birthing experience with one or both of the necessary energies greatly depleted. The last few weeks are an opportunity to slowly prepare and harmonize the body so the woman’s body and the baby are ready together. Acupuncture is a lovely addition to those last few weeks.
20 Reasons to Consider Birth Preparation Acupuncture
- Stress relief is heavenly at 38 weeks.
- Acupuncture will help you sleep in those last few weeks so you are well rested for birth and mothering.
- Acupuncture can help the baby descend.
- Acupuncture can help the cervix dilate, efface, and soften by nourishing the fluids of the body and relaxing tissues and muscles.
- Acupuncture can get rid of pesky late pregnancy pain in the back, feet, hips, etc.
- Birth Preparation includes a thorough conversation about what your first or other births were like and how to prepare to face similar issues this time around using acupressure points, positioning and gentle exercises.
- Birth Preparation can be a safe place to talk about worries away from a spouse, midwife, doula or OB.
- Birth Preparation is completely individualized for each patient, unlike an acupuncture induction which just forcefully moves the qi, birth prep is a way of unlocking and encouraging your individual body and baby to help create a smooth, easier birth.
- Acupuncture right before birth balances the delicate harmony between yin and yang.
- If the yang is too forceful there will be lots of strong contractions without dilation.
- If the yin is too plentiful there will be a sluggishness of the body with no contractions and no internal fire to jump start the birth process.
- If the yang is too weak the contractions will be unpredictable and too gentle to do the work necessary to assist the baby in its journey downward.
- If the yin is too scanty dilation will be delayed and more painful.
- Birth Preparation teaches you which of the four substances (qi, blood, yin or yang) need nourishing in those last couple of weeks and how to do it using diet, lifestyle, exercise and mindset.
- Invite your partner or a family member who will attend the birth to come to the Birth Preparation and they will get a mini tutorial of acupressure points to use during labor that are specific for your issues (whether it is nausea, vomiting, anxiety, headaches, depression, fear, dilation, contraction building, etc.)
- More than one birth preparation appointment allows the acupuncturist to slowly and intentionally prepare your body, gage your progress and make sure your body is ready by the 40 week mark, rather than trying to make something instantly happen at 41 weeks.
- Checking the tongue and pulse in the last two weeks of pregnancy can reveal which of the four substances are weak and allows time for rapid building.
- It can be very helpful for a woman to know if she should be resting or active in the last few weeks of pregnancy or even in the last few days of a pregnancy.
- It is helpful for the partner to attend the Birth Preparation so the partner can hear and understand what the challenges might be at the birth and know exactly how to respond to those challenges.
When a woman knows what may happen due to her constitution she is empowered. Birth Preparation teaches a woman how to take control of her unique laboring process. She has a tool kit for her body!
I recommend anywhere from 1-4 birth preparation appointments during a healthy pregnancy starting in the 38th week. If you are worried about delivering early because of previous birth experiences (or because you are carrying twins) be in touch before the 38th week marker.
Book your Birth Preparation Appointment today and put your mind at ease.